Saturday, March 20, 2010

Firefly.

I have laughed a lot this last week. I have this dorky smile that refuses to leave my face no matter what I do. This hardly happens, but when it does... oh, dear. 
Enough of that. 
I've had my friend Kimberly in town for the last week visiting from my hometown Cedar Falls, Iowa. It's been great. It's given me an excuse to crawl outta my room and feel the sunshine on my face. And... showing off my favorite spots has reminded me again why I fell in love with this town in the first place.
We've hit all the cool spots, even found a new one- The Copper Kettle. I've seen this place, heard of this place, wanted to try this place... best decision. I love restaurants that have garage doors on the side so that people can sit outside and see the city. 
We have gone antique-ing out in Franklin, gone to a couple movies, walked around my favorite parts of this town and hung out with some of my favorite people. 
Yesterday was my favorite though. I had no idea how awesome Nashville's science center was. I lost myself for 3 whole hours. I ran from station to station rolling balls down different courses, relearning different things about gravity, the human heart, and sound waves. Things that I did when I was 10... but it all felt new. and fresh. I jungle-gymed my way up to the tip top of the science center. There's this green bubble like thing that sticks out at the top. Only one person can fit and you only have room to turn and look around. You can see everything.
There's also this table that has Google Earth on it. You can spin it from side to side, zoom in and out and tilt it to anywhere in the world. I went over Iowa. I started zooming in to see how far it would let me go.  I don't know why. I wanted to make it find Cedar Falls and when it did I squealed outloud, "Hey! That's my home!" I kept going closer and closer... then I could see streets.  Greenhill... University.... Rownd... and I kept zooming in. By golly. I found my home. Really. I mean I literally could see my house. I thought that was the coolest thing ever. 
It made me miss home a little so I... asked my friend, Brad, to take me back with him on his way home in April. It'll be a few days after I get home from Haiti. -Yes. Please.
Speaking of- 2 weeks from tonight my group and I will have traveled over the mountain and will be settling into our hotel in Jacmel. I can't wait. We had an informational meeting last Thursday. Philip just got back from Haiti a few days ago so he had a lot of stories to tell. I'm trying to prepare my heart for what I'll be seeing in Haiti, but... it's hard to know exactly. Good news is we will have internet! Bad news is I probably won't be spending my time sitting on my laptop. At least I'll be able to talk with my family some :) and maybe write up a blog or two.


Welp. It's time for this one to get some zzzz's. Tomorrow will be a good day even though they are predicting thunderstorms... But like I said, this smile just won't leave my face ;)  I can't help it. 


You make me happy to be alive. 


-Cal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment