Thursday, March 4, 2010

A Penny For Your Thoughts.

I heard a story tonight of a man who was rich. One day his friend saw him reaching down to pick up a penny that was laying on the sidewalk. His friend asked him, "Now, why on earth would you pick up that penny when you have all this money?! What does a penny matter?" The rich man replied "Well, I think sometimes it's easy to forget what the penny tells us. When I see a penny I am reminded of what it says right here, 'In God We Trust'. I feel that whenever I stumble upon a penny it is a little reminder from God that I need to slow myself down and trust him." 

My friend Toni shared this story with me and Kerstin tonight over sushi. She had just heard it earlier and thought it was kinda fun. It is fun, and it kind of changed the way I see pennys lying out on the sidewalk now. It kind of left me thinking...
I know that I tend to hold onto things that I shouldn't. I love to hold onto things like my old journals, my favorite chapstick, and my grandma's doll... I sometimes feel myself holding onto emotions that I shouldn't be holding to like hurt, bitterness, and other feelings that stand in my way of forgiveness. I hold relationships that are toxic for far longer than I should... and then I ask God why I feel like I'm stuck... swimming in the same ol' fish bowl. Isn't that just silly? I've spent so much time asking God 'What do I need to do to get unstuck and be freed from all of this worry?'... How was I to know that all along the answer was written across the loose change in my pocket. Trust God. That's all that matters. Let the rest G.O. 

 

Good. Night. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment